The last lowering 5th February 1998. . . . . .
Euston House was built between 1933 and 1934 as the headquarters of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway, to designs by the architects Albert Victor Heal and William Henry Hamlyn. The LMS had recognised the need for several departments to work closely together and the new building was designed to accommodate 1,300 people on 9 floors.
After nationalisation it became the Headquarters of the London Midland Region and then the British Railways Board. Post privatisation BRB moved from Euston House to Whittles House in December 1997 but there was no flagpole there and the BR flag remained flying over Euston House.
On 5th February 1998, Neil Butters, Secretary of the Railway Heritage Committee, photographed the lowering of the BR flag by Norman Adamson, Central Services Personnel Department for the last time. Euston House was eventually sold on 6th April 1998.
This flag was designated for the National collection and is now preserved in the National Railway Museum at York.
The double arrow flag, or arrows of indecision, pictured below from the National Railway Museum’s collection no longer flies over railway buildings. However, the logo unleashed in 1966 still endures today as the commonly accepted railway symbol.