Reputed to be the first cast iron railway bridge in the world - designed by George Stephenson in 1823 - as part of the Stockton & Darlington Railway.
Dismantled in 1901, its historical importance was recognised and it was displayed in York in 1928 at the LNER Queens Street museum. It was moved in 1975 to the present location close to the Leeman Road entrance to the National Railway Museum in York.
The exciting news is that it may be 'coming home' as part of the planned expansion of Locomotion, the railway museum at Shildon.
The significance of the bridge and its place in the history of the development of railways in that area has been cleverly captured on video by enthusiastic volunteers of the Brusselton Incline Group.
Picture: Gaunless Bridge. NRM
By Frank Paterson
Read about Friends contributions here